About Me

My photo
A fiery, red-headed newbie Vegan who loves wine, food, reading, writing, and all things curious.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holiday Gift Ideas: Eco-Friendly, Vegan, Upcycled, Just Plain Cool

Sure Walmart, Target, and Best Buy have their SO HOT MUST BY NOW SALES. But seriously, aren't you tired of giving the same old gifts each year? A candle for Aunt Mary, an iPod for your brother, a gift card for your mother, the newest E-Reader for the significant other...every year people get an updated version of something from the year before. 


This year I am putting more thought, creativity, and compassion in to my holiday shopping. Each week I will update you with some cool finds. This week I was all about Etsy-ing...are you just as addicted as I am?

Hubs and I love wine. We have an inventory of about two hundred bottles and have two large barrels of homemade wine waiting to be bottled next week. We also love wine related gifts and have found some fun, quirky things at wineries and wine shops around the country. 

If you are a wine lover, or know of one that you have to buy a gift for, then you must check out:

8point8

The 8point8 shop makes unique wine racks and wine gifts. The shop was started by a general contractor who wanted to save wood that was deemed useless and ended up as landfill. All of the wood they use has been "rescued, resurfaced and repurposed". A rustic look but sleek design lends to a very eco-friendly gift! Based in San Diego, CA their products are Made In The USA. 






This next shop features fun handcrafted gifts for the vegan guitar player (aka hubs...hmmm gift idea?), and other cool vegan items. 

Island Provisions

Hillary of Island Provisions was faced with a quandary like most vegans--where to find fun, hip vegan goods at affordable prices? She decided to start making her own, and I am so happy for that and you will be too! Her shop has some really beautiful guitar straps, bags, and wallets. Here are some of my favorites but check out the store for more designs. And if you have a banjo player in the family, she has you covered--she makes banjo straps! 






I am a sucker for vintage, nostalgic stuff.  Last week I paid one dollar for a calendar dish towel from 1977 that has brilliant birds printed on it. Why? Well because I was born in 1977 and I plan to frame it and put it in my new kitchen much to hub's dismay :)  

Something else I plan to put in my kitchen is this:


Even if I can't eat Ritz crackers, they remind me of my childhood. My mom would make little peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with Ritz crackers. Loved those! 

This creative clock was artistically handcrafted by Sanda at 

GiftedPapers

A peculiar shop filled with gorgeous clocks, journals, and gifts made from a stunning array of exotic papers. You have to see the unique touches she adds to each creation. An origami clock made from vintage airmail envelopes, a vegan faux leather journal, frames covered with mesmerizing prints--there is a gift to be found for everyone on your list. That she can see the beauty in an old NYC subway map makes her a #1 in my book! 


Happy Shopping!!









5 comments:

  1. I adore Etsy and have been going back & forth on what to get people this year. We don't do much, but I want to do something different. All of these shops look great! I especially like the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could spend a day on Etsy if I had nothing else to do. There are so many cool things on it. I love the clock too and a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found this post because you gave me a great idea of what to get my step dad from island provisions on etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaay! Love when I find the perfect gift for someone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New web site is looking good. Thanks for the great effort. Green living

    ReplyDelete