"I read a book and we are going vegan!"
As I exclaimed this to my husband in the last few weeks of August, he gave me the raised right-eyebrow questioning glare.
I answered back with a raised double-eyebrow head tilt that said, "Oh yes we are!"
And we did. September 1, 2011.
Our immediate, very serious concerns were:
1. We love wine! Cheese goes with wine! We love cheese! What will we eat with our wine?
2. Viriginia Ham...how does one give up Virginia Ham? Oooo with poached eggs and grits!
3. M & M's, Pretzle M & M's, Coconut M & M's....
4. Eggplant Parm, Lasagna, Cheeseburgers, Pizza, Sushi, Sweet & Sour Chicken
After we looked at our "concerns" list we realized the things we would miss the most are the things making us the least healthy and maybe it was time we gave them up for good.
Eight days later....
We have been following the 21 Day Menu in the book and so far have been very happy with the results:
1. We have lost 3lbs (each) in the first week.
2. We have more energy.
3. Our food bill has been cut drastically!
4. We actually are digging being Vegan because we do love animals.
But you can do anything for a week.
Now the real journey begins...
And it will be a delicious one with this:
Banana Pecan Bread
3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups flour
1/2 cup vegan sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray loaf pan with Canola Oil spray. Mix the mashed bananas and oil in large bowl.
2. In small bowl mix flour, sugar, salt, baking soda then pour into large bowl with banana mixture.
3. Blend all together well. Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 1 hour. (Or toothpick inserted comes out clean) Remove and let cool.
Makes 1 loaf