About Me

My photo
A fiery, red-headed newbie Vegan who loves wine, food, reading, writing, and all things curious.

Monday, September 12, 2011

More About Kale Later...

I had planned to write about the benefits of the new, sexy, green vegetable I am in love with lately but decided it was absolutely necessary as a new vegan to rave about the most delicious thing I have tried yet!

Following Dr. Barnard's 21-day menu has been fun and exciting and I was especially thrilled when I saw we could have sorbet this evening. Not knowing one sorbet from another I picked one the way any lady would...

...the one with the prettiest label of course.

And so...Sharon's Raspberry Sorbet came home with me.

Normally in the past if I had a craving for a frozen, creamy dessert like ice cream I was going whole...cow. Homemade rich and creamy, I could make a mint chocolate chip ice cream that made you have dreams of mint leaves floating on a chocolate river. My idea of sorbet is a thin, grainy, frozen concoction.

Until we had  Sharon's Raspberry Sorbet! Creamy, fruity, rich goodness with no dairy, no corn syrup, 100% vegan! And not too rough on the calories either. It's a friendly sort of sorbet that we enjoyed thoroughly:



However, if you are not in the mood for dessert I must post this wonderful, hearty recipe courtesy of Dr. Barnard's 21-Day Kickstart Meal Plan:

Sicilian Lentil and Escarole Soup
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1/2 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
3 cups low-sodium veggie broth
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped escarole
1 cup green lentils
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red potato, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Toasted Whole Wheat Bread

Instructions:
1. Saute onion, celery, and carrot over medium heat until they are soft. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
2. Add the veggie broth and bring it to a simmer. Add the tomatoes, escarole, and lentils. Allow the soup to come back to a simmer.
3. Cover the pot. Reduce heat to low. Cook soup for 20 minutes. About 15 minutes into cooking the soup, add potato, stir, and re-cover pot.
4. After 5 more minutes, remove the soup from the heat. Immediately stir in the parsley and pepper. Plate each serving over a slice of toasted whole wheat bread.

Enjoy!
And I promise...
...more about kale later.


1 comment:

  1. Make sure you coptright this good stuff because it's looking like a cookbook to me!

    ReplyDelete