About Me

My photo
A fiery, red-headed newbie Vegan who loves wine, food, reading, writing, and all things curious.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Thanksgiving In One Bite...Cranberries, Pecans, Sweet Potatoes Oh My...

Happy Halloween! 
                                              Happy Nano-Eve! 
                                                  Happy Mofo!

 Since it is a day for sweets, my last MOFO post will be a sweet one. 
The Thanksgiving meal is one of my favorites! While some people have "Christmas in July" parties..I usually have a Thanksgiving in July. 
Having some extra nuts after my challenge on Saturday I made a dessert tartlet that encompasses all the tart, creamy, sweet goodness of the nostalgic combo of cranberries-cinnamon-sweet potato-pecans that is Thanksgiving happiness to me. 
I used some left over sweet potato mash from a dinner I made the night before. This is a great way to use up those Thanksgiving leftovers or if you have any extra sweet potatoes lying around. 


I dare you to eat just one...



Thanksgiving Tartlets

Ingredients:

For the Crust:

1/4 cup Sweet Potatoes, mashed with a little vegan butter
1/4 cup Vegan Butter, (Earth Balance)
1/3 cup Vegan Cream Cheese
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

For The Filling:

2 Tbs Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 tbs Vegan Butter, melted
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Egg Replacer, I used Ener-G
Pinch of Salt
1/2 cup Pecans, chopped
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries

Instructions:

1. Cream together vegan cream cheese and butter until mixed well. Add sweet potatoes and mix well. Add spices, and flour and mix until a dough forms. Dough will be kind of sticky. Chill dough for one hour in
refrigerator.



2. Preheat oven to 325. Spray a tartlet/mini-muffin pan with non-stick spray. Shape dough into 1" balls (should be 24 in total) and put them in the cups. Then with your fingers, press the dough in to form a little cup, pushing it well into the cups, up the sides.

3. Whisk together the maple syrup, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, egg replacer, and salt until well incorporated and mixed together. Add the pecans and cranberries.

4. Spoon the filling into the muffin cups.

5. Put in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the filling is set. Remove from oven and let tartlets sit for five minutes. Then gently remove and put on cooling racks and cool completely. (Although I had to try one warm and it was soooo goooood!)




I have had so much fun Mofo-ing.  AND in 4 hours it will be time for Nanowrimo! Stay tuned for lots of vegan treats to power you up on those long coffee-guzzling writing nights!


Here are some of the wonderful blogs I have loved reading during Mofo and plan on reading daily:


AND SO MANY MORE!

Remember...keep reading! Lots more in store!

(Ok I have gone way over my exclamation point quota for the month.)

HUZZAH!


3 comments: