About Me

My photo
A fiery, red-headed newbie Vegan who loves wine, food, reading, writing, and all things curious.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Vegan Caviar and Vegan Tuna (Take 1)

When hubs and I decided to go vegan, there were certain things we would miss. Cheese being at the top of the list although, strangely, that has not been a problem. Of course, every time we see a hunk of dairy cheese we think of the poor dairy cow having her babies ripped away while she is hooked up to a machine and milked dry. What? Didn't know that? Here read more:


Anyway...we were also big fish eaters AND enjoyed caviar on special occasions. So...what to do? 

Enter Ikea...
       (no, literally go to Ikea)!

After doing some Googling...I found that Ikea sells a Seaweed Topping, for only $1.99 that resembles caviar. 
Ok...so it isn't Osetra but I feel a lot better eating it and knowing that no animals were harmed in the "harvesting". 

We also used to love tuna fish sandwiches. So I took to the task of trying to create a vegan tuna. And well, first attempt, not too bad. I used chickpeas as the base and added the usual ingredients of canola  mayo and dill relish. I added a little tahini and some kelp granules but I think I am going to get some other sea vegetable and try again. 

It looks pretty yummy with the little dollop of caviar on top:

Recipe to come once better perfected 

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, will have to see if I can get that seaweed topping from my local Ikea!

    I know what you mean about "Of course, every time we see a hunk of dairy cheese we think of the poor dairy cow having her babies ripped away while she is hooked up to a machine and milked dry."

    Once you think about this issue there is no going back, no matter how much you used to like the taste of cheese. If more people looked into this and really thought about it there would be a lot more of us vegans in the world! (Says me who only made the move to veganism this year!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just became vegan in September and I agree, if more people looked into where our food actually comes from, there would be more vegans.

    ReplyDelete